Monday, December 10, 2007

Swimming in UW's Consideration Pool

UW just sent post-interview follow up email saying I haven't been rejected. This was what I was hoping for.

UW is seeing over 5000 applicants this year, which is a substantial increase. The number of MD school applicants has been increasing by a few thousand a year since House went on the air. Correct, that "House" is the drug-addicted, walks-with-a-cane, sociopathic TV doctor who only has to solve fun diagnostic puzzles, gets to belittle and yell at his patients, pops Vicodin like candy and sleeps with his students. Gray's Anatomy is also a likely cause, since it demonstrates that all surgical residents are fabulously good looking and regularly sleep with their stunningly good looking teacher-doctors. I can't speak for Nip/Tuck but I'm sure it's also a factor.

You know, when ER came on the air in 1994, I couldn't wait for Thursday night. My sister bought me scrubs for Christmas and I wore them while I watched the show. I was a fanatic. I started using words like "intubate," "pre-eclamptic" and "CBC, Chem 7, type and cross" in regular conversation. The actor who played Mark Green went to my high school (this is not to imply I had needs that Clooney couldn't meet). But watching that show never triggered a desire to practice medicine. I didn't know, and didn't care, what was involved in medical education. My interest in ER faded and I moved onto Will & Grace and then any show that has competitive dancing on it. It's just TV.

Fast forward 13 years and "just TV" is making it extra difficult for non-stellar medical school applicants like myself to get accepted. Such is life. UW accepts some stellar applicants right after their interview; these acceptees will have multiple acceptances to choose from, and some will reject UW. As these seats are freed up, applicants on the waiting list are offered acceptances. Some of these waitee-acceptees will have multiple acceptances and reject UW. Then these freed seats draw from the "still under consideration" pool, which is where I swim. I should know how it turns out by April.

Meanwhile, Vermont rejected me, and I added Des Moines. Here's the map (you can zoom this etc.):

View Larger Map

1 Comments:

Blogger Arizona Grease Monkey said...

Yay! Hang in there, Cy. :)

I saw House recently at a friend's place. Agreed, it's an awfully crass depiction of the medical profession! We've sure come a long way since Doogie Howser, M.D. and Diagnosis Murder.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home