DO love, so much love, but tough love
I currently have 5 interviews at schools of Osteopathic Medicine. Two in Florida, two in Arizona, and one in Washington. The immediate and enthusiastic reception I've received from DO schools is a huge difference from the pile of polite rejections I'm accumulating from MD schools. I'm hoping for a few more DO interview invites, but in reality I expect nothing, nada, from MD schools.
I'm currently sitting in an internet cafe on Key West, which is a lovely warm and friendly place to blow a few days between med school interviews. The thought that I have to put my wool blend interview suit and hose back on in a couple days, for my Bradenton interview, is surreal.
On Friday (Jan 11) I interviewed at Nova. I loved the med students who toured us around. I had a great time with my fellow interviewees. The facilities are brand new, there are a number of renowned faculty, and the dean who closed the day left me more motivated to excel than I've felt in a while.
OK, but the downside is that the building looks like a Vegas casino, the location (see previous post) leaves a bit to be desired, and the overall feeling is roughly equivalent to a Barbizon Academy of Beauty. My half hour interview didn't seem to require me to be present - I was interrupted during my answers and the very, very, very old lead interviewer kept looking at his watch and ruffling through the files of other interviewees. The "bad cop" interviewer challenged me on my justification for changing careers and on my transcript indiscretions (great to finally be challenged on this - I'd dig in hard on these issues if I was the interviewer) but I got the impression that she made up her own answers to these questions based on what she expected the answers to be.
These folks are between me and an acceptance, but I don't believe that they otherwise have too much involvement in a Nova medical education. They're administrators. They have thousands of applicants to review. Their opinions were cast in stone in the mid 1950's. But I came out of there feeling like a poser, like I'm kidding myself trying to go to med school, that I'd been judged and found wanting. By contrast, I came out of my UW interview feeling very pumped up, very excited, and feeling completely blessed and fortunate and happy.
Driving out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday, I saw a billboard advertising Nova for allied health professional programs (nursing & respiratory therapy etc.). I think I'd go to Nova if I get accepted, but the impression they left me with was this:
I'm currently sitting in an internet cafe on Key West, which is a lovely warm and friendly place to blow a few days between med school interviews. The thought that I have to put my wool blend interview suit and hose back on in a couple days, for my Bradenton interview, is surreal.
On Friday (Jan 11) I interviewed at Nova. I loved the med students who toured us around. I had a great time with my fellow interviewees. The facilities are brand new, there are a number of renowned faculty, and the dean who closed the day left me more motivated to excel than I've felt in a while.
OK, but the downside is that the building looks like a Vegas casino, the location (see previous post) leaves a bit to be desired, and the overall feeling is roughly equivalent to a Barbizon Academy of Beauty. My half hour interview didn't seem to require me to be present - I was interrupted during my answers and the very, very, very old lead interviewer kept looking at his watch and ruffling through the files of other interviewees. The "bad cop" interviewer challenged me on my justification for changing careers and on my transcript indiscretions (great to finally be challenged on this - I'd dig in hard on these issues if I was the interviewer) but I got the impression that she made up her own answers to these questions based on what she expected the answers to be.
These folks are between me and an acceptance, but I don't believe that they otherwise have too much involvement in a Nova medical education. They're administrators. They have thousands of applicants to review. Their opinions were cast in stone in the mid 1950's. But I came out of there feeling like a poser, like I'm kidding myself trying to go to med school, that I'd been judged and found wanting. By contrast, I came out of my UW interview feeling very pumped up, very excited, and feeling completely blessed and fortunate and happy.
Driving out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday, I saw a billboard advertising Nova for allied health professional programs (nursing & respiratory therapy etc.). I think I'd go to Nova if I get accepted, but the impression they left me with was this:

1 Comments:
I'm sure you did fabulously, and of course they had to interrupt you :) And I see nothing wrong with attending a medical school that looks like a Vegas casino, but the traffic you described sounds terrifically horrid...
Post a Comment
<< Home