Premature matriculation
The good news: I'm getting B's and C's. In med school. After cancer. In menopause. With new bifocals. Without any REM sleep. In Virginia. With my boyfriend 3000 miles away. Holy crap, I can actually do this.
(Dirty little secret: I didn't actually think I could do this. Ever.)
The bad news: I might as well be getting F's though. The program I'm in is an audition, and B's and C's are failure. I won't have a shiny transcript and glowing letter from the dean come January to help me get into UW's med school, and EVMS won't let me in with any C's. From the perspective of what I came here to do (get into a US MD school) this is an epic fail.
The other good news: But EVMS likes me. Apparently. They're cutting me a deal. I'll be starting a leave of absence tomorrow, withdrawn from classes, health insurance maintained through next July. I have the option to come back for a do-over next year. I've spent the last 3 days sitting in faculty and administration offices, being supported and rooted for and encouraged within an inch of my life. They seem to want me here. I'm stunned.
Optimal? No. Jarring? Yes. Evidently my cautionary tale of How NOT to Get Into Med School is still going.
So. I'm breaking my lease, storing a few things with a classmate, and reloading the car. Assuming I can get a software job in Seattle, it's all good. I still want to be a doctor, and I probably still get to be.
(Dirty little secret: I didn't actually think I could do this. Ever.)
The bad news: I might as well be getting F's though. The program I'm in is an audition, and B's and C's are failure. I won't have a shiny transcript and glowing letter from the dean come January to help me get into UW's med school, and EVMS won't let me in with any C's. From the perspective of what I came here to do (get into a US MD school) this is an epic fail.
The other good news: But EVMS likes me. Apparently. They're cutting me a deal. I'll be starting a leave of absence tomorrow, withdrawn from classes, health insurance maintained through next July. I have the option to come back for a do-over next year. I've spent the last 3 days sitting in faculty and administration offices, being supported and rooted for and encouraged within an inch of my life. They seem to want me here. I'm stunned.
Optimal? No. Jarring? Yes. Evidently my cautionary tale of How NOT to Get Into Med School is still going.
So. I'm breaking my lease, storing a few things with a classmate, and reloading the car. Assuming I can get a software job in Seattle, it's all good. I still want to be a doctor, and I probably still get to be.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home