Friday, December 18, 2009

Microsoft just sold me an iPhone

I've got 4 more months on my Sprint contract, and I have an HTC phone that runs Windows Mobile. Boy, those iPhones sure look cool, with all those apps and that nice interface. Seems like everybody's got a Blackberry. The Android phone's rollout keyboard pleases me very much. Oh wow, I'm a target customer, which way will I go?

But okay, there's a Windows Mobile version of a phone app I want to use: Glympse. My friend Joel was posting his location on Facebook using this app, during his international travels. I'm about to drive cross country. Off I go to Windows Mobile Marketplace to see if I can use this app.

(2 hours later)

You know, my brother in law has been working on Windows Mobile since 1994. Back since it was called Pegasus, when the nascent project stole all the headcount coming off OLE 2.0. My brother in law is very smart and dependable, and I know he's not doing bad work. I bought my HTC out of loyalty to him and to Microsoft.

So the issue here must be the company msft hired to put together an answer to the iPhone app store. When you've got a fat checkbook, you write checks to solve problems. You don't go after solutions as if the success of your company, and your ability to make payroll, depends on it.

Which shows. I have never been more ashamed of being a Microsoft ex-employee than I am today. I won't bother to list the embarrassment of errors in the process of finding (much less installing) an app on my phone. Except one.

The Windows Mobile Marketplace download link, from about a dozen different sources, that would set my phone up to download Windows Mobile apps, is a 404. Link not found.

My stomach hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home